19 January 2007

Dirty Harry


Clint Eastwood is an amazing man. I'm not saying he's a great person, but consider this: he is 76 years old, one of the biggest movie stars of all time, and yet his most impressive achievements have come in the last 5 years. With Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima, Eastwood has created two of the best films of this Oscar season, the latter currently sitting atop my list, unlikely to be dethroned. In 2004, he won the Academy Award for directing Million Dollar Baby, which also won Best Picture. In 2003, he was nominated for Mystic River, which was a Best Picture nominee for that year. And way back when I was shooting underhand three-pointers in elementary school (I was the best in the playground, when I managed to get the shot off- pretty easy to block), Eastwood won Best Director for the Best Picture of 1992, Unforgiven. All of these movies are ridiculously good. As if this wasn't enough...he composed the music for Flags, Mystic River, and Million Dollar Baby!! Who is this guy?!?! These were brilliant film scores, and being a musical man myself, my mind is blown. Absolutely blown. I need to lie down.