There are lots of ways athletes can spend their off-seasons. They can work on their game, travel, impregnate women, and many other things. They can also take their time off to...sing! Athletes and music have gone together since time began. The Super Bowl Shuffle, Carl Lewis' National Anthem, and the 7th Floor Crew are just a few. Some athletes, however, are for real.
Meet Ben Broussard, First Baseman for the Seattle Mariners. Ben batted .289 with 21 HR for the Cleveland Indians last season. But Ben is more than an athlete. He's also a musician. Thanks to his website, we can learn all about it:
Ben demonstrates his passion for music with the release of his musical debut. With everyday life and relationships as his inspiration, Ben wrote the lyrics in hotel rooms while traveling across the country playing professional baseball. The album, produced by Scott Schorr of Lazy Bones Recordings, features Ben's talent for playing the guitar, singing, and the unusual beat box on "Deep". We invite you to explore the website, purchase the album, and check back often for updates.
If you're so inclined, check out the audio snippet. If you really like it - buy it.
But the music gets even better! On the same site as Ben's music comes a far superior music compilation: Oh Say Can You Sing! This CD/DVD combo is brought to us by Good Sports Recordings, whose goal is to unite athletes whose passion for music is as great as their athletic talent.
This two disc package (CD & DVD) features 10 current Major League Players plus Hall of Famer, Ozzie Smith, singing their own versions of popular songs. (Jimmy Rollins & Coco Crisp rap on their original hip-hop tracks). This is an awesome project - no cheesy or campy elements allowed! The DVD contains player recording session footage, exclusive interviews and a tour of Ozzie's home memorabilia room.
* Ben Broussard, Cleveland Indians, With or Without You, U2
* Sean Casey, Cincinnati Reds, How Do You Like Me Now?, Toby Keith
* Jeff Conine, Florida Marlins, Plush, Stone Temple Pilots
* Coco Crisp, Cleveland Indians, Original song
* Matt Ginter, NY Mets, Dooley, The Dillards
* Aubrey Huff, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Letters From Home, John Michael Montgomery
* Scott Linebrink, SD Padres, Wave on Wave, Pat Green
* Jimmy Rollins, Philadelphia Phillies, Original Song
* Omar Vizquel, SF Giants, Broadway, Goo Goo Dolls
* Kelly Wunsch, LA Dodgers, Hurts So Good, John Mellencamp
* Ozzie Smith, Hall of Fame, Cupid, Sam Cooke
This incredible CD/DVD combo would be great just to listen to all of our favorite athletes belt out their favorites. Ozzie Smith can't be that bad - his son Nikko wa a finalist on American Idol a few years back. But the chance to hear Jimmy Rollins and Coco Crisp rap?! ORIGINAL RAPS?! This is too much to resist!
It's one thing to have great athletic talent. Combine that with incredible vocal and musical ability? That's too much to overcome. I'm out.