19 March 2007

An open letter to Tommy Amaker

Dear Tommy,

So, this is it, huh? After six years, our relationship is over. You’ve gotten in your Cadillac and driven off with Dr. Pinder-Amaker into the sunset.

But, hey, no hard feelings. We’ll still have the memories. Like the time we went together to New York to watch your team cut down the nets. It may have been the NIT, but each net is made out of the same material, right? Or the time your boys inexplicably took the halftime lead against a Top-5 Illinois team, or a Top-5 Ohio State team, only to fade into oblivion like you always do.

It saddens me to think that I’m never going to see you in your polo shirt and suit jacket holding up your fist as part of your one-play “motion” offense. Or that I will never hear you talk about how you judge your team not on wins or stats, but on “quality possessions,” even after going eight minutes without a field goal in the second half. My only hope is that you land back on the Duke staff, and, five years from now when our relationship is long forgotten, to have Coach K think it’s a good idea to have you replace him.

What am I going to do without you? What am I going to do this time of year in the future when I’m at work and Michigan’s playing in the NCAA Tournament? Calling in sick is really going to hurt my PTO balance.

Well, as they say, all good things must come to an end. Just remember, Jay Bilas still loves you. Take care.

Love,
Bob