Manners? There seem to be no manners in sports, if you watch anything on a regular basis. But a group called the National League of Junior Cotillions, has come out with a “Ten Best-Mannered People of 2007,” and lo-and-behold a number of athletes appear on the list. Hannah Montana (Miley Cyrus) is first, and here are the sports figures.
2. Tim Tebow - for displaying good sportsmanship on and off the field.So the kids think Tebow has better manners than Tiger Woods? Really? I think they’ve just seen his photos online, and the votes come out of adoration.
4. Tony Dungy - for his example of humility and politeness.
6. Brett Favre - for his perseverance as an athlete.
10. Tiger Woods - for inspiring young people to achieve their best.
It’s a good year for sports indeed, as the number of athletes on the list doubled from the previous installment. It’s hard to top this one though:
4. Emmitt Smith - For his positive influence in football and dance.A positive influence in dance indeed. Amen. Why is it, though, that it would be far easier to think of ten ill-mannered athletes than well-mannered ones? Where’s Phillip Wellman when you need him.